Monday 24 November 2014

Weekend Warmaster

Dave and I played some more Warmaster over the weekend, and a couple more games a few days ago.

We were initially planning on switching to Hail Caesar, but decided to stick to Warmaster a little longer, and I think we're at the point where we're nailing all the niggly things, such as multiple combats, and the moving, pursuit, and fallback moves.

The other day we played a couple of games, first starting with a 1000 point game, and then trying to get in a 2000 point game later in the evening. We were getting tired late into the 2000pt game, and that ended when Dave killed my general.

Yesterday's game--back to 1000pt Undead vs Undead while we come to grips with it again--went very well, and was a very narrow victory for Dave. We decided to cut down the width of the table as well, to about 4'. I think 4'x4' is an excellent size for a 1000pt game.

One of the other great things we did was plonk a city right in the middle of the table with some lines of trees blocking visibility across the battlefield. Later in the game, I managed to lure his chariots into the city where he was surrounded by trees. Then I sent my archers in, and made him fall back into the trees, destroying the remains of that unit.

Very enjoyable, and now I think I'm remembering why I loved the game so much in the first place. I really should have taken pictures, but I guess I thought the games were just going to be run-of-the-mill trial and error games. As it turns out, they were so much more than that. So next time, I'll make a point of taking photos regardless.

At some point in the near future we're planning on taking other armies so that we can learn the Confusion rules. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment