Saturday 10 December 2016

What is Google doing to Blogger?

In a completely unrelated note, and while I'm on a roll... Blogger, in their infinite Googlish wisdom, have changed the front page of Blogger and "simplified" it. Although I don't quite understand their definition of simplification.

It used to be that you could get an overview of the stats of all your blogs, with a list of recent posts to blogs you sub underneath.

Now we are forwarded to the post list of our most popular blog, and we have to click on Stats separately. Then we have to go to the next blog we host, and then click on stats there. And the next, and the next, and so on for all your blogs.

Then to see the feed list, we have to click on Reading List.

How do you feel about that? I'm personally not liking it and left feedback asking them to give us an Overview page that had the same amount of information as before.

I don't feel that this is a good feature, and am not a fan of the constant changes that Google make to all their application interfaces. It seems nonsensical to me. It seems to me that we're at an age where computing power is sufficient that programmers can give us the ability to customise the interfaces to our own needs, not accept how they think we should be using it. BTW - there's some anger on Youtube on recent changes Google are making there too--things such as unsubbing people from feeds they may not have viewed for a while, and changing some algorithms for the recommended video feeds that make it harder to see what you're subbed to. Perhaps these are changes that are on the mobile interface, and frankly the Youtube app has never worked how I expect it to, and never showed me what I am interested in seeing, so I just don't use it.

Same for Google+. I stopped using that because to view specific communities, you used to be able to hover over the menu and it would auto-pop out the right content. Now we have to click here, click there, select that, and drill our way down to find things.

I think what I'm trying to say is that they keep making their interfaces more tedious, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

So I'm putting the question out there. Is my own bias blinding me to some obvious use cases where their changes make sense, or are you equally as frustrated with their constant and nonsensical changes?

No comments:

Post a Comment