Thursday 14 March 2024

Further Napoleonics.. almost done 2 divisions

Well, things have been progressing very quickly. I've almost completed an entire division each of the French and English in 6mm.

I'm really happy that they're so quick to paint and get table ready. Because of the rank and file and strip nature of these figures, I can't base them until they're painted, which means I can't play until they're painted. It's the same problem I have with starting a new Warmaster army or Black Powder Epic ACW. 

After finding the trick to quickly painting these figures (something I'll now be able to replicate to some degree in 10mm and 15mm), I'll be able to actually get them on the table. Other than one game last month, I haven't actually played a wargame for a couple of years. Partly because of things going on in my life, but it got frustrating with 28mm figures taking me so long to paint.

This has actually done wonders for my mental health. I am enjoying and can focus on painting better than I have for years because I'm seeing actual progress each day. It's wonderful!

So here's what I've done since Saturday (it's Thursday evening now):




And for some progress pics getting to this point...

The infantry from the French division

Most of the English infantry

I had just painted the red cuffs on these French infantry

The French rear with white turnbacks

I put white turnbacks on this stand, not sure if they should have been white or red for this regiment--or even what this regiment is. I don't have any books with breakdowns with all info. I found a wikipedia page which listed all the regiments for the English, but the descriptions on each page only specified the facing colour. And they didn't have any info on the regimental colours, so I'm at a loss until I find collated info. But I also accept it may be my own failings and ignorance.

If you know of a resource online that will help, please let me know. I can't afford to buy any books until I find a job, so it has to be free internet resources for now. :(

To do the flags below, I just looked at Baccus' printed flag sheet and painted a few of those on. You can see more of them in the background of the 1st and 2nd pictures of this article. 

I'll get close-up pictures in a future blog post when I've finished basing them all.


First attempt at painting flag of King's and regimental colours

Completed stands of French infantry. Bases just covered in PVA and sawdust flock.

I think these are skirmishers. Base covered in some Citadel muddy sand in a pot stuff watered down to make it more like plaster.

Same Citadel pot dust, but without water.

I based a few stands of English troops with that Citadel stuff, and have done a black wash over them (not photographed). Tomorrow I'll dry-brush them a couple shades of brown and add some flock in patches and see how they turn out.

Because the guns stick out in the front, the middle of the figures isn't as open, so I expect to have some trouble getting the mud-dust-sludge in there. PVA will be easier, but I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

Oh, all the infantry are on 30x20mm bases and the skirmishers are on 30x30mm. When I do the artillery, the limbered stands will be 20x40mm and I'll probably put two guns on one 30x20mm stand. Or maybe a 40x20 so that the limbered base will fit perfectly sideways behind it.

All MDF bases are from Battlekiwi, here in New Zealand. I realised that when I bought the bases I wasn't expecting to have finished so many of the figures, so didn't have enough to base everything I've painted. I've just put in another order to Battlekiwi. Hopefully with enough to see me for another order of miniatures, which I've already made to Irregular. :)

I'm hoping to play General d'Armee primarily, but also have Valour & Fortitude as I know one of my friends has played the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment