Wednesday 6 March 2024

Maybe I'm back...

tap. tap. tap. sound check. sound check.

Is this thing on?

After troubles with Blogger, I shifted this to my own blog a few years back, but after not doing any wargaming for a while and needing to save money, I shut it down. What few posts I made on there are lost.

Blogger is still giving me trouble, and I've found it doesn't remember that I'm logged in between going to the Blogger dashboard and visiting any blogs. But I'm using Firefox, and surprise surprise, everything works perfectly under Chrome, which for security and privacy reasons, I don't use for regular browsing.

It's been a while since I've done any wargaming. Life has been a rollercoaster these past few years, and I've been out of work for the past 6 months, so I've decided to at least do something to take my mind off things... painting minis.

It also happens to coincide with GW's release of Warhammer: The Old World, which piqued my interest again. I played a game with a friend, hoping I had enough fantasy minis to make an army, but I didn't. I have some Chaos figures from Age of Sigmar, but not enough, and I really can't be bothered re-basing everything.

So I dug through my piles and found that I had bought 2 starter sets of Kings of War and a Goblin Mega Army box back in 2021.

Well then, I have a goblin army! 

I got to re-reading the KoW rules and found that 40-odd pages (with images) of rules was far easier to consume than The Old World. Kings of War is much clearer, concise, logical, and a far better set of rules than any other rank and file game IMO. 

And the basing... yes, multi-basing, allowing players to put as many (or as few) minis on a base as they see fit is a million times better than playing tetris with tightly packed stands. I love it.

Bonus points: the rules are available completely free online, as is the background and story of the setting, and they have a free army builder. So it's possible to start playing Kings of War with miniatures you already own and don't have to fork out a cent to Mantic. This is a great way to get people into the game (actually all of their games) to see if they like them.

So I'm hoping people still play it locally. I haven't been to the club in a while, but will get there this month and have a chat to folk (at least one of whom I know will be at least trying TOW, but had switched to KoW after WHFB died).

Once I get a job I'm going to jump into Armada (the sea battles game in the KoW/Pannithor setting) and Firefight (their sci-fi game). Next year will see the delivery of their "epic scale" (I don't know if that means 6mm, 8mm, or 10mm as different scale games call themselves "epic") Warpath. This is their sci-fi setting, but little tiny units. Which super appeals to me. I love smaller scale games because they actually look like a big battle in the way 30mm just can't.

In fact, my initial goal with KoW back in 2021 was to use that ruleset to play Warmaster. 

Oh and they just announced a Halo wargame for about Q3 2024.

OK, so on to the pretty pitchers... These are all Kings of War WIP.

Goblins...







Northern Alliance...






No comments:

Post a Comment